Thursday, November 3, 2011

August Ride Summaries

Saturday, August 6: I&M Canal from McKinley Woods to Morris
One of the nicest, most enjoyable, and most accessible local trails for our group is the I&M Canal. Usually we start at Empress Road in Joliet, but to see different parts of the trail we sometimes gather at the state park in Channahon or at McKinley Woods. We'd also like to explore the portion of the trail west of Morris, but there are rumors of washouts and poor maintenance due to state budget issues. Probably something to look into for next year.


Sunday, August 21: Fox River Trail from Oswego to Illinois Avenue in Aurora
This was the first of two rides we took from Oswego into Aurora this summer. I like showing people this route on the FRT because the first time I tried it I became very lost while trying to navigate through Aurora. The key is to cross the river on the Virgil Gilman Trail, and then follow the signs through town. On my first attempt I tried winding my way through the east side of Aurora, eventually giving up when I didn't feel like competing with busy downtown traffic. Getting through town on the west side of the river is a piece of cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment