Sunday, June 24, 2012

End to End on the Old Plank Road Trail

On Saturday the 16th of June a group of us gathered for another trip along the Old Plank Road Trail.  This time the plan was to ride the whole thing, which for Tim would be his first 40-miler.  He and I started at the Joliet trailhead on Washington Street and rode to Frankfort.  In Frankfort we met up with Jon and the other Eric [note: to clarify, I am The Other Eric, not the other Eric].  They were not able to start quite as early that day.

While in Frankfort we also stopped at the trailside bike shop (Plank Road Cyclery) and I picked up a nice insulated water bottle for Tim, who had been riding that day with a large red thermos attached with a bungee cord to his bike rack.  My excuse, so that he would accept the gift, was his upcoming birthday.

Now personally I had no problem with Tim's thermos arrangement.  I greatly value function over fashion any day!  It was an excellent way to haul a large amount of ice water.  But he seemed a little self-conscious...and it was completely impossible for him to drink from the thing as he rode along.  Although I would have enjoyed watching him try!  So now he has a new water bottle.  In fact, he ended up liking it enough to order a second one when he got home.  It's nice when a gift is appreciated! 

Together the four of us rode to the eastern end of the trail at Western Avenue and then headed back to Frankfort.  Upon reaching Frankfort, Jon and Eric left us alone again (naturally) so Tim and I had to finish the ride back to Joliet on our own.  But not before I enjoyed some gelato at Mama Rosetta's Gelateria & Espresso Bar.  Tim waited very patiently while I ate.

When Tim and I finally made it back to Joliet it was time for dinner.  All afternoon we had been planning to eat at Dairy Queen, and seeing as it had been over 10 miles since my last ice cream, we headed that direction.  As it turns out, the walk-up Dairy Queen at Washington and White is maybe not the ideal choice for a fine dinner (see the representative photo above) but at least the ice cream was okay.

We did accomplish our main mission for the day, which was to ride 40+ miles.  Details are provided below:

No comments:

Post a Comment