Saturday, July 31, 2010

Two Recent Rides

Schedules are gradually starting to get busier as we wrap up July and head into August, but the group did manage to arrange two rides this week. The first was this past Sunday with Marie and Nelson, and the second was Friday evening with Ken, Pat, Marie, Larry, John, and me (Eric).

Since I wasn't along for the ride on Sunday, and since they were not using "one of those fancy gadgets" (in Marie's words), I am guessing at the route they took based on Marie's description. They started at Gaylord Road in Crest Hill, rode to the I&M at Theodore Marsh/Rock Run, followed the I&M to Rockdale, and then returned on the same path. I believe they were trying to find the connection at Larkin that would take them back in a loop, but were not able to find that. The total distance by my calculations was around 24 miles. Here's a map of the route I think they took, so Nelson and Marie can correct me if I'm wrong:


View Larger Map

I had not been aware of that trail before, and learning about new trails is one reason I really like having this cycling group.

The week's second ride, on Friday evening, basically ended in the dark (thanks to yours truly) though it was a really nice cool evening for riding, and the rain managed to hold off long enough for us to finish. The route started at McKinley Woods and headed west to Morris along the I&M Canal Trail for a total distance of 22 miles (based on my fancy gadget). Here's the map:



So with a total of 46 miles, Marie gets the prize for riding the longest distance with the group this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment